Tuesday, May 22, 2012

After reading Chris' testimony on the blog, I figured that it would be suiting for my first post to be my testimony. It's also fun to do today since it's our 2 year anniversary!

I grew up in a Christian home with a fantastic family. I became a Christian at the age of 5 praying next to both of my parents asking for Christ to "come into my heart". As I got older, I realized that this decision was the most important one I would ever make. I went to church and a private school where I started understanding what it meant to live like a Christian. My faith was first truly tested when I was a freshman in high school. My older sister was in a car wreck and was careflighted to the hospital. When my family and I arrived, the doctors told us that she would need emergency surgery for the next 16 hours and had very little chance of making it through the night. I was in shock and had no idea what to do or think. As I watched my parents struggle through the situation, I noticed that they had a peace that confused me. It was there that I realized I had two options: I could either reject the notion that there is a God that loved me and cared for me, or I could believe the things that I had heard my whole life. I chose to lean fully on God and see if He could really comfort me. He did. Against all odds, my sister survived. A little over a year later, my faith was tested again. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and was told that I would be insulin dependent for the rest of my life. The diagnosis did not rattle me as much as the doctor expected. As he continued to explain how difficult it would be, I could only remember how faithful God had been the year before. I had experienced His peace before and knew that He would be there for me. These two experiences shaped how I would respond to every other circumstance in my life. Through college, I pursued God. Life was void of terribly difficult circumstances and things were going well. I was dating an amazing, Godly woman and had some awesome friends. I graduated college and prepared to marry my best friend. One week before the wedding, Chris went to the ER with terrible abdominal pain. She was diagnosed with Crohn's disease and released from the hospital 5 days before the wedding. Again, I rested on God because I knew He would bring us through this. We made it through our wedding and were able to joke about the fact that we both have incurable illnesses. Unfortunately, the most recent difficult circumstances was one of the hardest ones for me. Three months ago today, we found out that we miscarried our first child. The wound is still fresh, but I know that I am not alone. Even though I don't understand why this happened, I simply have to trust God. He has never left me nor forsaken me (Hebrews 13:5), and I trust that He never will. I could list all of the verses that I cling to in order to make it through each day, but those don't mean anything if I don't trust Him. That's what it means to follow Him, right? Whether I feel like it or not, I make the choice to trust that He will lead me better than I could lead myself.

1 comment:

  1. brett, i just read this for the first time. your faith has inspired me over the years! i'm incredibly thankful to have you as a godly example and mentor. blessed that we get to be brother and sister on earth and in heaven.

    ReplyDelete